Friday, December 01, 2006

Richard Bach - Illusions II

Another excerpt from Bach's book..

"The thing that puzzles you," he said, "is an accepted saying that happens to be impossible. The phrase is hurt somebody else. We choose, ourselves, to be hurt or not to be hurt, no matter what. Us who decides. Nobody else. My vampire told you he'd be hurt if you didn't let him? That's his decision to be hurt, that's his choice. What you do about it is your decision, your choice: give him blood; ignore him; tie him up; drive a stake of holly through his heart. If he doesn't want the holly stake, he's free to resist, in whatever way he wants. If goes on and on, choices, choices."

..I particularly like the sentence "We choose, ourselves, to be hurt or not to be hurt, no matter what" on the conditionality of being hurt. I still find this idea strange, uncomfortable (Me being responsible for my feelings of being hurt?.. Am I emotional masochist?.. Does it apply in all cases?) but I think of it quite often and I am fascinated by this idea thinking if I implemented it, my life could be much easier. :) A matter of changing thinking, a long process..

No comments: