Saturday, January 20, 2007

Czechs in Beijing

Finally I met my first Czechs in Beijing :). It took quite a long time as the timing was so bad. Contact info received from Iveta and Martin in Ostrava, but it turned out that my colleagues also knew the very same people! It seems quite a small world out here.
Katerina, Lukas, Lada and Stepan all live and work in Beijing, mainly teaching English. Length of current stay from 5 months to 3-4 years. They speak Chinese pretty well!

After 6 weeks it was my first chance to speak my language and just to chat about various things, mainly China, likes and dislikes (Lada had her day... :) ), plans for my trip.., but also about Olomouc department of English studies (Paul Whittaker), Culik in Glasgow and his classes of journalism, Katerina's writing about China to Pravo newspaper (she's a journalist), about living in Brno, Ostrava, Prague, future plans and travels etc. Just a feel of home and of the 'old days when I was around 27, 28' as these 'kids' are... ;) Kidding.. :)

I wish I could have met them all earlier, not the last night in Beijing... but at least I did! Thanks to all and greetings! :)

There are about 70 Czechs in Beijing in total.. most probably. Mainly around the embassy. There is a bigger community in Shanghai having quite regular get togethers.

1 comment:

Christine Baker said...

Hi

I used to live in Olomouc and knew Paul Whittaker but lost touch when I returned to UK in 2004. Anyone know where he went?

Christine Baker
christinebaker@smbaker.plus.com